Touch Type Read and Spell (TTRS)
For over 25 years, TTRS has offered a comprehensive touch-typing course based on a structured program of phonics. The program aims to build literacy skills and increase confidence and self-esteem in users as they master the art of keyboarding. Because it takes a multi-sensory approach to tuition, TTRS is also suitable for users who struggle with physical impairments and specific learning difficulties, like dyslexia.
Touch-Type Read and Spell (TTRS) offers a comprehensive touch-typing course, for students age 7 and up, based on a structured program of phonics. It features the following components, which I’m sure you’ll appreciate:
- It’s research-based.
- It uses the Orton-Gillingham method of reading instruction – the program builds literacy skills while teaching kids keyboarding.
- It’s highly structured – yet flexible. I like the combination!
- It’s multi-sensory, using visual, auditory, and kinesthetic (touch) senses – so it works for a variety of learners. Homeschoolers love multi-sensory!
- It’s modular in design.
- The modules are short in length, with immediate/positive feedback.
- The program offers an adaptive interface in terms of colors, fonts and designs (which your kids will like).
- The program is suitable for users who struggle with physical impairments and specific learning difficulties, like dyslexia.
- The program works well for ESL students.
- It also works for adults!
- In case you want it, optional tutor support is available.
Why TTRS is so effective
– Designed to encourage success from the start Highly structured yet flexible approach 24 course levels, each of 31 modules – 4,000 words in all Incorporates structured word lists from the book ‘Alpha to Omega’ by Beve Hornsby
– Based on the Multi-sensory Orton and Gillingham approach to reading and spelling Uses a unique, multi-sensory, phonics-based approach, developing literacy, confidence and self-esteem with measurable success right from the start
– Supported by a substantial number of research papers, user testimonials, and specialist articles Proven worldwide for 21 years – in thousands of schools, homes, colleges, and charities
More on TTRS
The TTRS program contains 24 levels with 31 modules in each level. A module typically takes a few minutes to complete. Student success is encouraged by immediate feedback and positive reinforcement. This feedback includes a score that appears at the end of each module. Every fifth module is a “dictation module” which relies on the auditory element to reinforce learning.
In addition to the TTRS course, there are TTRS Subject courses. These subject courses include Grammar, Phonics, Spelling, Math, Science and more. It’s recommended that students complete the first three levels of the main TTRS course before using TTRS Subjects.
WHY PARENTS, CHILDREN AND ADULTS LOVE THIS
TTRS is modular in design containing 24 levels with 31 modules in each level. A module typically takes a few minutes to complete. Success is encouraged by immediate feedback and positive reinforcement.
TTRS teaches phonics in context and at the same time the student is learning how to touch-type. With repetition, these words move from short-term to long-term memory
TTRS can be used on any desktop or laptop computer. There is also an iPad app for learning on the go
TTRS is an online course requiring no installation. The iPad app also comes with an offline mode
It builds focus and concentration
It boosts confidence and self-esteem
It doesn’t look or feel like a literacy solution
Open a writing session inside TTRS and get post-session feedback on spelling & typing performance
There’s maths practice too
Trophies & Weekly targets motivate learners and encourage regular use of the program
TTRS Reporting means you can track performance with our new simplified app that lets you follow a child’s progress on your smartphone
It requires minimal supervision
The whole family can use it.
WHY SCHOOLS LOVE TTRS
Students learn to type and benefit from improved spelling ability and a boost in reading fluency due to an underlying phonics program that informs core content
There’s no complicated training required and it is quick and easy for teachers to get set up on the platform. The intuitive and simple interface also means students can easily set up their profile and start typing right away!
TTRS offers a flexible solution that can be used for classroom-based learning & homework assignments. It also offers parents the chance to reinforce literacy skills at home and take a more active role in their child’s learning
Dashboards and reporting apps allow teachers to monitor student progress and see which words and spelling patterns they are struggling with
It encourages self-directed learning as students require less guidance
It caters to different ability levels. TTRS is self-paced and can be customised to meet the needs of every learner, from those on the autistic spectrum to learners with visual or hearing impairments and students who struggle with dyslexia, dyspraxia or attention-based difficulties
Some teachers can’t touch-type. TTRS offer FREE unlimited teacher accounts with all our accounts. Teachers have full access to their own course and can be assigned to monitor classes
If your students enjoy learning the TTRS way, they can take maths, English, and science lessons too! Typing modules practise key vocabulary and concepts, help with hard-to-spell words, and boost reading fluency
Have students write inside TTRS and get post-session feedback on spelling & typing performance
Home use: can be individual or for family use
Schools: cost per student decreases the more students who use TTRS. Small schools may qualify for a discount
You can check out two TTRS videos below
For Home Use
TTRS works well for home use for the following reasons:
In case you’re wondering, this is what we did today
These are just a few of the screen shots. Sometimes it takes two screens to finish a sentence – we probably should have taken a screenshot to finish the question, “Could we have a ride to ?”
Touch-Type Read and Spell Product Review – What do I like about this program?
- TTRS helps students learn touch typing. My kids’ typing skills are improving.
- TTRS is enjoyable – my kids like working on the TTRS program.
- The program can help learners with dyslexia, dysgraphia, ADHD and dyspraxia master the keyboard and improve their reading and spelling skills.
- TTRS works for kids – and for adults.